Saturday, April 24, 2010

Textured Lily

Lily with textural overlay
This is my first attempt at doing a textural overlay. The texture, taken by me, was a wooden fence at Chaffey Zoo in Fresno. The Kellogg's Lily was also taken by me somewhere in Humboldt or Del Norte counties. Scott helped me find a link with a how-to for doing textural overlays in Photoshop. They are very similar to the old slide sandwiches back in the film days. I really like how this came out. I like the texture of both the wood itself and the grain in the wood and the fact that it has a slight lean to it. I love how the green background in the lily photo colors the wood and that it looks like its either a trompe l'oeil  of a lily painted onto a fence, or a photo of a lily in front of a fence. 

Kellogg's Lily
Here is the original lily photo from my flickr photostream:
I haven't uploaded the textural photo. One thing about the original that bothered me is how obvious the vignetting is in the smaller sizes. It wasn't as noticeable when working on a larger version. That small error is completely fixed by the overlay.  The final thing I really like about the new version is how the overlay enriched the colors in the petals of the lily. I think it is all around a better image. 

No comments:

Post a Comment